Wednesday, January 16, 2008

it wasn't me

The bad news is that the earth is rotating slower even as I type.

The good news is that the speed of retardation is so slow that by the time a day becomes as long as a month the sun would have evolved into a red-giant and there probably wouldn’t be anyone left on earth to complain about how even a really large lunch is just not enough to get through the rest of the day.

Even better news is that this slowing down of the earth is because of the gravitational pull of the moon. It’s not our fault!

Nowadays everything to do with the earth and the changes it's going through seems to be our fault. Even the fact that ‘environmental’ and ‘conservation’ make sense in quick succession is evidently something to worry about.

When I first heard about the concept, I wanted to help. Then the bell rang – it was time for Maths and I forgot all about it.

Recently Global Warming came back in my life. I think 2007 is to blame, first with constant complaints about climate change, then Al Gore’s movie and finally the Nobel Prize. Now it refuses to leave. Conversations seem to steer towards it, every thing I’ve watched on TV makes me think about it – Tata Nano, Reliance Power, Britney’s Rehab.

Sometimes I get up in the morning feeling worried and guilty. It takes me a while to realize that the feeling isn’t because I’ve missed a deadline or haven’t studied for a test. It’s Global Warming.

Surely there are other people who feel the same.

Surely I’m not the only one who is weighed down by the burden of it.

Surely all this guilt and worry isn’t good. For all I know, it probably is a major cause of stress, heart problems and even cancer.

I think Global Warming has a lot of potential. With a bit of research it could probably overtake “my dog ate it” to become the best excuse ever.

13 comments:

meswamy said...

was that sarcasm? if yes it was a good work

Everymatter said...

very nice writeup

keep it up

Veda said...

sarcasm???
what me??
NEVER!!

Anonymous said...

i like it... though im still pondering if i ought to be puzzled and indignant... unsure of the slant of the sarcasm as i am... or maybe ill just sip through it... good stuff...

Shane Deconinck said...

I like your style of writing :-)

Christmas said...

WOW..... COOL +++

Nice Blog ...

Big Ben said...

I feel bad if I even throw a can in the regular garbage. I don't really feel bad about driving my SUV because I often take public transit to work. I also hate smokers.

Travis said...

keep it up your writing is good.

kimber said...

hah!

~Abhi said...

and just the last summers, I heard this quote from a friend.. "Aajkal Pune mein bahut global warming ho gaya hai!"
:-D

Artists With Artitude said...

Hey Veda..So nice of you to visit my blog :) Keep on!!

asphaltball said...

what? no, i dont agree. some of us have worked really hard to make this happen, this Global Warming, that you pass off as juat another phenomenon. you dont know how many miles we've travelled, chickens we've barbequed, peas we've frozen, perfumes we've sprayed and cigarettes we've smoked; all this effort, this sweat and blood, all for the realisation of our sole dream of ridding the world of bitter, heartless cold and filling it with loving warmth. and this is what idealists like you come up with in return? naive, vaguely sarcastic articles about how global warming is a bad thing?
you conservation children should grow up and learn to respect others' opinions and aspirations and look at things from a unbiased, impartial point of view.
my people and i expect some respect from you next time.

Amak said...

i found that piece quite (what other ppl generally call) "post-modern" in fundamental ways. whether that's a good or a bad thing?
hmmm...
i donno, it's like asking "is global warming a good or a bad thing?"
but i like the angst that permeates the entire piece! one could almost 'feel' it.